Monday, August 25, 2008

Lena Rivers


I have to tell you a story of a quest I have been on for over 30 years. It has been an on and off search. Well, all my years paid off today. My grandmothers name was Lena Rivers Crook. She was born on 1897. For years I was had been told that she was named after a book called Lena Rivers. My great-grandmother had been reading the book while she was expecting. According to what I have been told, she loved the main character in the book and named grandmother after her. Well, my mother passed her name on to me Suzan Rivers and then Keith and I passed it on to our son Christopher Rivers. For years I have wanted this book and I have looked everywhere for it. I have called book sellers and every antique place I have ever been. I have been told that it has been out of print for years. Well, today Mom and I went to a little antique shop in Gates and there was a pile of old books. I started going though them and the last one was a very old copy of the book. They sold it to me for $2.00. I am so excited to finally read the story of how my grandmother, myself and Christopher got our name. So, if you have been looking for something keep on you will never know when you will find it.

4 comments:

Caleb and Jennifer said...

That's so neat! I look forward to hearing about it!

Joy said...

Morning Suzan Rivers!

Well it is raining buckets and buckets here in Atlanta.

What a wonderful thing to have found the book after years of looking for it, do let us know what you think when you read it.

Hope the counter tops are in or getting close.

God Bless.

Joy
Sherman Interiors.

Marie Rayner said...

Wonderful post Suzan!!! I am so happy you found the book you had been looking for, for so long! Perhaps Keith had a part to play in it? you never know! (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

I'm a stranger, but my mother was also named after this book as her mother, too, was reading it while pregnant. My mother was named "Mary Lena" for Mary Holmes (the author) & the title character. There are also at least two movies based on the book--a silent film and a 1932 version.