Wednesday, November 7, 2007

20th Anniversary Coming Up and How We Met


With our 20th anniversary getting closer I thought it might be fun to let ya'll know how Keith and I met.

Flash back to 1987----

I was a single, independent woman living on her own. Keith was a single dad who's son (Kevin) was heading off to college in the fall. I had just ended a horrible relationship with someone and had sworn off men!!!! I had a friend who needed a place to stay for a few days (that is another story) so I invited her to stay with me. After she moved in she found out I had an interest in English History and she decided I needed to met this man she had worked with once. He was British so I guess she assumed we would get along only for that reason. She set up a blind date for Saturday night. I protested and protested that I did not want to go. In fact, we were going to met at 8 and at 6 I was still laying on the couch not ready. Now most people that know me know I am high maintenance and it takes me forever to get ready and then I had long hair and it's thick so it took forever to dry and it was the 80's and big hair. She finally got me to agreed to go and I still can't believe that I got ready and made it almost on time. Well, we arrived at the restaurant and when I turned the corner I saw this man standing there not knowing which one I was suppose to met and I told my friend that that was the man I was going to marry. I still don't know what made me say that, but I just knew. I had told my friend that I was only staying for dinner and then leaving, but I ended up getting home at 2 in the morning. We talked for what seems forever. When I left he told me he would call in the morning. I had told him I was going over to my parents to swim most of the day. He called about 7 and we talked again for about 3 hours. I left and when I got back he called again and we talked again for about 4 hours. We decided to see each other the next night for dinner. Well, we ended up seeing each other for the next 3 days and on the 4th day he asked me to marry him. I said yes. So we were engaged 4 days after we met. When we set the date, he wanted to wait so we did. 4 months. We got married November 21, 1987. Most people had bets how long we would last. Kevin wanted to know if I could cook and could he drive my car ( I had a 300 ZX), I told you I was single and fun loving. P.S.- I still love that car and Kevin did get to drive it. It was a short romance before we got married, but I have never regretted it one day. I loved that man from first time I saw him and still do to this day. We have gone though alot in 20 years, but we made a commitment to each other to love each other for richer or poorer ( an we have had both), sickness or health. I do not look forward to not being without him at any point. He is like the other part of me.

Our Wedding Picture November 21, 1987

Fast forward to today---

We have a wonderful 15 year old son together and together we have made a wonderful family that includes Tania (our beautiful daughter), Kevin ( our other handsome son), Jeff (Tania's husband), Lisa ( Kevin's wife) and 4 wonderful grandchildren. I have never called my step children step. They are my children whether by birth or marriage and I love them all. My life was made great by one blind date I didn't want to go on. Boy, am I glad I did.

That is my account, I am sure Keith has a different take on it. I'll try to get him to tell it sometime.

2 comments:

Carver said...

What a beautiful story. I'm glad you found each other.

Joy said...

Well! That certainly brought a tear to my eye this morning, what a wonderful story of love, committment and God's grace. There was certainly a plan for you guy's!

Being a English lady and married to a English man I know how charming these fella's can be!

You are in my prayers.

Joyx