Sunday, March 30, 2008

Still Hanging On

Keith continues to hang on. We are thankful for every minute we have with him. Yesterday when the nurse was here she helped us get his bed changed and get him into some clean clothes. We put his hospital gown on him (he has always hated those and she insisted). I heard him moving around about 3 this morning and he had gotten completely out of it and taken his oxygen off. I asked him if I could get a shirt on him and he did manage to tell me no. I just covered him up and fixed his oxygen tube. He seems easy and peaceful at the moment. Christopher is in with him right now, so it gives me time to update. There isn't much to update. He is still the same, very raspy.


Hospice keeps bring up the fact that I could put him into in house hospice, but I refuse to do that. He wants to be at home and I want him here. If it the last thing, I will do for him, he will stay home. Hospice keeps telling me that according to the book, he is just going downhill. I have been trying to tell them that Keith has never done anything by the book. Last year, when he was doing chemo, they said he should stay at home after the chemo, not Keith. He planned everything out so that he had his chemo on Friday, had the weekend and Monday and was back at work on Tuesday, so I doubt he will do this by the book.

Willie just left and agreeded with me. Keith vitals are stable and he is sleeping. Willie said to just keep him comfortable and he seems that right now.

5 comments:

Joy said...

Hi Suzan:

Just read your update to my Mum, she is here from England...Mum lost Dad in September 07 and just wants you to know, she had walked in your shoes and her heart goes out to you.

God Bless.

Joy

Carver said...

Dear Suzan,

Keith, you and your family are very much in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad that Keith is peaceful at the moment. Those moments can make a big difference.

As ever, Carver (from MPIP)

Jenni Halley said...

Brian wanted to stay at home too, and if you can keep up, it will bring you comfort. But remember there is another option is you need to move him for extra help. I know it is exhausting. Do what you feel is right. Brian didn't do everything by the book either. I was happy when I checked the blog this afternoon to see that you are enjoying each moment with him. Still praying...

Jenni

Anonymous said...

Suzan,
This is Jenni Halley's good friend Jill. The lives of all of the melanoma warriors have become a multi-daily part of my life. I am so in awe of your strength and devotion. I dedicate my thoughts to you this evening and hope you can find peace within the storm.
Jill Baker

Marie Rayner said...

My dear sweet friend, prayers continue for you all over here in England. I think you are giving Keith the greatest gift a person could ever want. How wonderful to be able to pass into the Saviour's loving arms directly out of the loving arms of family, in familiar spaces with your loved ones caring for you and ever close. Your strength and devotion to each other continue to inspire me. You have carved a deep place in our hearts. XXOO